Personal Injury FAQ

FAQ About Personal Injury Claims in South Carolina

Answers from Experienced Attorneys in the Myrtle Beach Area

After an accident, you might be unsure what to do next and could be having a difficult time finding a place to start. You’ve come to the right place. At Joye, Nappier, Risher, & Hardin, we work to equip our clients with the information they need to navigate their situation. While we provide the answers to some of our most commonly asked questions below, we welcome you to get in touch with our personal injury firm for further details and guidance.

Contact our Myrtle Beach injury lawyers at (843) 357-6454 to learn more. We also offer representation in Horry County.

What Type of Compensation Can I Receive in a Personal Injury Case?

The amount and type of compensation you receive will largely depend on the circumstances and factors that are specific to your case.

You may be able to receive damages for:

  • Medical and rehabilitative expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of wages
  • Loss of earning capacity
  • Property damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Disfigurement and emotional distress

In cases of extreme recklessness and negligence, the responsible party may pay an additional punitive fine that is intended to punish them and deter further similar actions.

Will My Insurance Cover Me in a Personal Injury Case?

Often, some sort of liability insurance is available to compensate you for the damages you have experienced. This can only be determined on a case-by-case basis. Of course, insurance companies often make low-ball offers that don’t fully compensate you appropriately. One of our attorneys can discuss your options with you in greater detail after hearing the specifics of your situation.

How Do I Pay for an Attorney?

Our attorneys take cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not owe us any fees unless we obtain compensation on your behalf.

If we do obtain compensation, our legal fees are typically one-third of the total recovery amount, plus any costs or advances that we have paid on your behalf throughout the case. These costs are typically small if it is not necessary to file a lawsuit.

How Do I Pay My Medical Bills if I’ve Been Involved in a Personal Injury Accident?

If you have health insurance, your carrier can pay for your medical expenses. Most carriers have an insurance policy that requires that they are repaid for expenses that they pay if you are able to obtain compensation from the party that is at fault for your injuries.

While we at Joye, Nappier, Risher, & Hardin cannot advance you money for your medical expenses, we can write a letter of protection to medical providers assuring them that their fees will be paid from any recovery.

What Does Comparative Negligence Mean?

Comparative negligence means that if you are found to be more than 50% at fault for your injury and damages, you will not receive any recovery. If you are found to be less than 50% at fault for your injury, your compensation will be reduced by that percentage.

What Is the Discovery Process in a Personal Injury Case?

The discovery process is the process by which one side obtains information from the other side in a lawsuit.

Discovery often involves:

  • Interrogatories
  • Request for production of documents
  • Request for admissions and depositions

The purpose of discovery is to allow both parties to share information so that they can move more quickly towards a resolution.

What Are Arbitration and Mediation?

Alternative dispute resolution typically involves mediation or arbitration. In Horry County, alternative dispute resolution is required by law.

Arbitration is for cases that involve damages of less than $25,000. It involves an informal trial before a licensed arbitrator who weighs the evidence and decides if the plaintiff should receive damages and how much he or she should receive. This decision is not binding and either side can request that the case go on to a jury trial.

Mediation is for cases that involve damages of more than $25,000. A mediator listens to both sides and works to help the parties agree on a settlement. Typically, a mediator splits up the parties and negotiates back and forth until a settlement figure is reached that both parties can agree on. If a settlement is reached, the Court will uphold the decision and require both parties to abide by it.

Contact Our Offices


  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy