Automobile accidents happen every day. In the event of an accident, it’s important to know what to do and who to turn to, especially if another person’s negligence led to an injury or even the wrongful death of a loved one. Negligence and carelessness are never acceptable and when it leads to a life-changing accident, it’s important to have a team on your side who can make sure that your rights are upheld and that you receive the compensation you are due.
At Joye, Nappier, Risher, & Hardin, our Murrells Inlet car accident attorneys have decades of experience and are passionate about providing our clients with the guidance and support they need during this difficult and overwhelming time. We provide high levels of personal attention and work with our clients throughout every step of the case.
What to Do After a Car Accident
What you do after a car accident can impact the rest of your case. However, our auto accident lawyers in Murrells Inlet can work with you to construct a compelling case no matter the circumstances. We understand that the moments after an accident are chaotic and overwhelming, and we are here to support you.
After a car accident, you should:
- Move to a safe area: Safety should always come first. If possible, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic or move yourself and any others to a safer area. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately and seek medical help.
- Call the police: The police will compile an official report which can be used later down the road if you choose to file a claim.
- Call your insurance company: Begin the process of filing an accident report with your insurance company.
- Gather driver information: Gather the names and insurance information of the other drivers involved, if possible.
- Gather witness information: Save contact information from people who witnessed the event.
- Take pictures: Take pictures of the accident scene and detailed pictures of all the cars involved, from as many angles as possible.
- See a doctor: See a doctor as soon as possible, even if you don’t think you are injured. Sometimes injuries take days to appear and it will look better for your case if you sought medical help quickly after the accident.
- Write down details: Write down everything you can remember from the accident. Include details such as road conditions, weather, visibility, etc.
Finally, get in touch with a personal injury lawyer as soon as you can to begin building a case on your behalf. Joye, Nappier, Risher, & Hardin can help you navigate your situation and fight for compensation.
How is Liability Determined in an SC Auto Accident?
South Carolina is what is known as a "modified comparative negligence state." So what does that mean? It means that, while a specific party may be found to be responsible for the accident, if you played any part in causing the crash this may reduce the total amount you are eligible to receive in compensation.
For example, if you are found to be 10% responsible for the accident (this will be determined by the court), your compensation will be reduced by that amount. However, if you are found to be more at fault for the auto accident than the other party you will not be allowed to pursue compensation at all.
What Are the Most Common Types of Car Accident Injuries?
Some of the most commonly sustained injuries in car crashes include:
- Broken bones
- Bruises and lacerations
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Hand, wrist, knee, foot and ankle injuries
Some of the more severe injuries that can occur in auto accidents include: brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, burn injuries, amputations, etc.
What Is the Car Accident Lawsuit Process?
A typical car accident lawsuit will go through the following steps:
- First your legal team will work to collect evidence supporting your claim
- Next, your legal team will file a complaint on your behalf, and serve the defendant with your claim
- The defendant will have opportunity to respond to your claim, during which time we will continue to compile evidence for your case
- We will then enter the discovery phase, in which our team will request and exchange information with the defendant's legal team
- If we are able to reach a fair settlement on your behalf without going to trial, we will; if not, we will proceed to trial
- During the trial we will present your case before a judge and will fight for your fair compensation
No one should have to fight for compensation after an accident alone. Contact our car accident lawyers in Murrells Inlet today at 843.357.6454 for more information about your options, both in Myrtle Beach and Horry County.
Need more information about filing a personal injury claim following your accident? Check out some of our latest blog posts on the topic; or give us a call to schedule a consultation with one of our car accident attorneys in Murrells Inlet to discuss your case!
Contact Our Offices
FILL OUT A FORM OR CALL TODAY TO SPEAK TO ONE OF OUR LEGAL PROFESSIONALS