After a motorcycle accident that leaves you or a member of your family injured, it is not always easy to know what to do next. You might be wondering what your options are, what to say to the insurance company, and what compensation you may be entitled to for your medical treatment, lost wages, and other accident-related expenses. It is important to speak with an experienced lawyer to get the help you deserve after a serious motorcycle accident.
At Joye, Nappier, Risher, & Hardin LLC, our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys in Myrtle Beach handle motorcycle accident cases throughout the state of South Carolina. We understand how to deal with insurance companies to help ensure that your rights are protected, and we can help you understand your options for pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Who Is At Fault in Most Motorcycle Accidents?
For too long, motorcyclists have been treated as second-class citizens when it comes to their right to the road. Under the law, however, motorcycles have the same right to the road as other vehicles. Far too frequently, motorcycles are involved in accidents simply because other drivers are not paying attention and fail to see them.
Some examples of how negligence can lead to motorcycle collisions include:
- Motorists who are talking on cell phones, texting, or otherwise distracted
- Dangerous road conditions, including unsafe road design, speed limits, and more
- Drivers who are speeding, driving recklessly, or making unsafe/illegal driving maneuvers
- Motorists who fail to check for motorcyclists before changing lanes
- Car and truck drivers who turn into oncoming motorcyclists
- Drivers and passengers who open parked car doors into the path of motorcyclists
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are far too frequently catastrophic or fatal due to a lack of protection. There are no restraints, no airbags, and no protective carriage, which puts bikers at significant risk. Our firm has the experience to defend the rights of those who have been harmed in motorcycle accidents and the family members of those killed in such collisions.
Can I Sue After a Motorcycle Accident?
Yes. Anyone who can prove that they have been wrongfully injured by a third party’s negligence can file a lawsuit against the responsible person or entity. If you have been hurt due to the carelessness or recklessness of a motorist, trucker, delivery driver, rideshare vehicle employee, city planning organization, or any other party, please don’t hesitate to explore your legal options for compensation.
What's Included In a Motorcycle Accident Settlement?
A typical motorcycle accident lawsuit will fight to obtain compensation for you for the following types of damages:
- Medical costs (this can include medical bills, prescription drug costs, physical therapy, and more)
- Lost wages (brought about by missed work or an inability to return to work due to your injuries)
- Pain and suffering (this can include emotional and physical pain)
- Disability or disfigurement
- Damaged property (your bike and any other personal property that was damaged in the crash)
In some cases you may also be eligible to receive punitive damages (additional compensation intended to punish the wrongdoer for their actions).
Is It Worth Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Because motorcycle accidents so often result in catastrophic injuries, victims typically require extensive medical treatment. This includes both immediate emergency care and ongoing treatment, such as surgeries, physical rehabilitation therapy, cognitive treatment, and more.
Common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Amputation/loss of limb
- Broken bones
- Facial scarring and disfigurement
- Internal bleeding and other injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Road rash
- Spine and spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Wrongful death
- And more
All of this can quickly become quite costly. When coupled with lost income/wages from taking time off work to receive this crucial care, the financial toll of a motorcycle accident can be immense. That is nothing to say of the physical and emotional toll of such an incident.
Why Choose Joye, Nappier, Risher & Hardin?
Here at Joye, Nappier, Risher, & Hardin LLC, our Myrtle Beach motorcycle accident lawyers are committed to helping you secure the maximum compensation you are owed from the liable parties. This can help you obtain the vital treatment you need to begin the healing process. We are happy to help you build your case and legal strategies while you focus on your recovery.
Contact Our Offices
FILL OUT A FORM OR CALL TODAY TO SPEAK TO ONE OF OUR LEGAL PROFESSIONALS